Friday, February 24, 2012

Finished Object Friday, 2/24/2012

Wow, I've finished something TWO WEEKS IN A ROW! It's like...Christmas or something. :) Or not. I don't know. But there's spinning, that I do know. ;)

Evergreen

Goal was pretty simple. Spin a single, as thin as I could, using "luxury alpaca blend" (85% baby alpaca and 15% bombyx silk) that I bought from Little Barn at Maryland Sheep and Wool last year. I figured a silk blend would be a good trial for thinness, since it'll take being spun VERY thin. Anyway, I had 4 ounces of fiber, I spun them all. I wanted to leave it as single primarily so that I could meet a Nerd Wars challenge. Silly reason, I know, but hey, why not? Anyway, I finished last night. I had so much yardage that it took over an hour just to transfer it on to a niddy-noddy. Which was annoying. But at long last, I was finished!



I had a lot of trouble getting the colors to photograph true, but it's actually a dark green heather with some lighter fibers mixed in, including some light blue and some yellow. It's quite pretty, though VERY dark. It's also VERY thin.



When I wrapped it around something, I was getting something like 40 to 50 WPI. So...thin lace weight, bordering in to cobweb. Despite that, it held together pretty well - it pulled apart like five times when I was transfering it to the niddy-noddy; I was worried it would pull apart MUCH worse than that. And I have almost exactly 750 yards of the stuff.

Now I just have to figure out what on earth to do with it...

Want to see more fabulous work by other crafters? Check out Wisdom Begins in Wonder and Tami's Ami and Other Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment